“Leaders don’t create followers, they create more leaders.” – Tom Peters
The Art or He“art” of Leadership Development
To develop others, you must believe in yourself and your vision. Developing high-performing teams to their best potential is not a direct path. One of the big misconceptions is that having a “tough conversation” with someone will produce lasting change. In my experience, this creates a blip of activity that seems like change is happening; however, it is only short-lived. To coach and develop someone takes time.
“Change happens gradually, then suddenly.” – Seth Godin
Growing New Leaders
Coaching and development take commitment to the individual and the journey of their development. Often, I have leaders say to me “I don’t believe this person can change” or “people don’t change.” This statement is not true, people change all the time.
“You can’t change who they are, you can change how they are.” – Bobbie Goheen
They grow and develop new patterns and skills regularly, and to get the experience they need to link intellectual insight to action takes time and practice. Developing high-performing teams means you are in it for the long haul and have created an environment of consistent positive and growth-oriented feedback.
The Science of Leadership Development
There is a science to developing others, and these core steps will allow you to begin to build an environment of high-performance team members.
- Create an environment of trust, respect, support, and open communication.
- Teach everyone the skills of feedback for achievement and growth.
- Co-design a professional “soft skills” development plan with your team.
- Provide them with skills, tools and reinforcement to expand their skill set.
- Set the bar for yourself that your team members will be the most “coveted” professionals in the industry.
- Be prepared to grow and adapt your skills to achieve #5.
- Learn to seek the subtle movement of growth and development.
- Set up regular small stretch goals to create positive momentum.
- Don’t be the expert, be the coach to your team.
Tap into our programs to develop your skills and develop others.