Taking care of yourself – be it during a hectic or difficult holiday season, or any other time of year – is vital to leading others, building a vision, and navigating change. When I experience significant change, I tend to drop the fundamentals of self-care and personal wellness, and I have discovered that I am not the only one. Yet, what gives energy and clarity is self-care. Because the best leaders ensure the success of others and the achievement of the vision, they tend to put their self-care second. However, over time, leaders have learned this truth:
“If you don’t take time for your wellness,
you will be forced to take time for your illness.”
You are priority number one and it’s time to learn to put your self-care first. Here are seven concepts I have seen successful leaders embrace that could support a more vibrant you:
- Learn Something New – discover an instrument, woodworking, birding, or any other activity that’s sparked your interest. Attend the school of all life has to offer.
- Community – be a part of a community where you receive by giving.
- Gratitude – end each day by noticing what is going well. Give thanks to those who helped your day go even better.
- Movement – walk in nature, play pickleball or try a new fitness class… whatever gets you moving and grooving.
- Health – be selective of the quality of your food and incorporate lots of greens.
- Friendship – have a few good friends who cherish the heart of who you are and support you in your joys and heartaches.
- Partner – have a special someone who you love and like.
To maintain good energy throughout the day, ask yourself each hour if you experience any of the following:
- What did I enjoy the most in the hour?
- What gave me pleasure?
- What brought satisfaction?
- Where did I experience joy?
- What made me laugh?
- Where was I cheerful?
- Where was I willing?
- How many times did I smile?
- Did I experience good luck?
Taking care of yourself daily allows you to be the leader others need for the short and long term.
Honor you, especially this holiday season!