“Leaders don’t create followers, they create more leaders.” Tom Peters
If you get lost in the busyness of the day, remember the ONE thing you are required to do is develop strong leaders.
Leadership requires you to see the greatness in others and support them until their total abilities are unleashed. This is not easy and is often thankless work. That said the moment you see another at their fullest potential is indescribable and deeply rewarding.
“My main job was developing talent. I was a gardener providing water and other nourishment to our top 750 people.” — Jack Welch
Here are a few practices successful leaders do to create great leaders around them:
1. They set a high bar and provide situations and opportunities for people to grow.
2. They collaborate with their team to define clear goals and expected outcomes and then they get out of the way. They do not get involved with the how.
3. They develop the critical thinking skills of others.
4. They let go of the need to give advice or add their input and they trust others to take it from concept to results.
5. They don’t pick at mistakes or problems. They focus on alternate scenario planning to move an idea forward.
6. They provide clear parameters and expectations to achieve results and make good decisions
7. They learn how to ask questions to help others grow their thinking and capacity.
8. They create an environment of success, where the company is achieving, the customers are happy, and the people can grow.
9. They expect their team to gain insight from others to create full bodied, fresh and workable plans, solutions, or approachs.
10. They create an environment where others are expected to learn and grow.
“The most dangerous leadership myth is that leaders are born — that there is a genetic factor to leadership. This myth asserts that people simply either have certain charismatic qualities or not. That’s nonsense; in fact, the opposite is true. Leaders are made rather than born.” –Warren G. Bennis
If you are developing leaders, than you are focused on the ONE thing that will grow a strong future.
Keep the focus,