We are certainly leading in an unprecedented time. Just when we think we can go back to normal, more dynamics move into our world. If your company and teams are influenced by the Delta Variant, supply chain, workforce challenges, world markets, technology shifts, weather patterns, etc., you are a leader of change.
Here are tips and actions to support your leadership journey during high-velocity change:
- Take stock of the situation and make sure you are gaining the facts and opinions to understand the terrain you are navigating.
- Admit what you don’t know.
- Gain input from your customers/markets, teams, suppliers, and vendors to learn what they are seeing and what their needs could be in the short term and long term.
- Benchmark with your peers to understand what they are experiencing and what they are navigating.
- Explore options with your team and peers to understand potential opportunities, risks, etc.
- Brainstorm potential new opportunities for your team, customers, and company.
- Build plans to move you, your team, and your company forward.
- Activate the plans and enhance them weekly or more often as you gain new information and knowledge.
- Be willing to change your strong opinions when you gain new insight and knowledge.
Know “you got this”:
- You have already led through dynamic change over the last 18 months.
- You have learned how to work through ambiguity to achieve successful outcomes.
- You have leaned in with your team and others to jointly determine the best next steps.
- You have activated good communication skills to keep everyone positive and aligned to achieve the goals.
- You have embraced empathy as a core skill to support you and those around you.
- You stepped up when your team and company needed you.
- You know to take a vacation and regular breaks.
Keep your good skills and practices. Relax into your ability to learn, figure things out, network, engage others and adapt to lead yourself and others through change.
I don’t have a pat answer on how to handle the dynamic challenges of today, because your dynamics are unique. I see so many good solutions being defined by my clients, and they are all different. What you decide to do to maintain a healthy and productive workforce to support your customers’ needs is based on your industry, company goals, workforce needs, and the values you hold. I am confident you will adapt because you already have. All my clients have done an amazing job in navigating solutions that support their teams and customers because they care, they listen, they are creative, they collaborate, and they adapt.
You got this,