Listen Beyond What is Being Said
One great practice for today’s leaders is to listen beyond what is being said. Taking time to understand what is the truth of a situation creates solid results and earns the respect of others.
Learn to open up conversation “by starting with the best interpretation of a situation” and ask the following questions:
- What led us to this decision?
- What would make this project, situation, decision, product, etc even better?
- What idea have you had that you have not yet voiced?
- What else could we do to achieve our goal in a better way?
- I sense there is more going on than is being said, could you help me understand?
The practice of honing your listening skills will exponentially accelerate the growth of your leadership skills.
Don’t be good, be great!
“The most important thing in communication is to hear what isn’t being said.”