“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.” – John Quincy Adams
The greatness of any organization is built on the motivation and inspiration of its people to achieve the vision and goals. If there are no people, there is no organization, company, or community. There is no need for leadership. Leadership is required when you have a group of people working together to achieve a goal. Leaders who focus on inspiring employees to stretch their personal and professional growth create the synergy necessary for a forward-focused company.
“A leader is best when people barely know he/she exists. When her/his work is done, her/his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves.” – Lao Tzu
These are the practices necessary to create a team that can say “we did it ourselves”:
- Forgo ego about you making it happen. Instead, focus on achieving the goal and celebrating it when they
- Hold regular discussions on progress and adjustments towards goals, while ensuring employees retain responsibility and accountability.
- Look for ideas everywhere – go beyond titles and inquire from people who want to contribute … you will be surprised by the abundance of opportunities for you and your team.
- Encourage openness where people can think, speak, and act within reason.
- Stretch others by offering opportunities to expand their thinking and gain new skills. Create an environment where it is expected that everyone, including you, improves their skills.
“The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you.” – Max DePree
- The “pièce de résistance” to creating their success is to maintain a line of sight on the vision and very clear goals. Your ability to keep the goal in front of the team is integral. This must be done in casual conversations, formal presentations, and all communications. It is very easy to lose sight of the vision and goals in the busyness of business.
- Once they achieve their goal, “thank you” has an amazing impact on people.
Keep the focus on their success and you will create the positive synergy you need for any initiative.
Lead by creating success for others!